Fresh Tomato Salsa – ready in less than 5 minutes. Tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, Serrano pepper, cumin, garlic powder, lime plus one blender or food processor and you will have delicious homemade salsa in just a few minutes. I like to use campari tomatoes as many times roma tomatoes from the store are quite tasteless. Read this for some interesting insight into the store-bought tomato and its lack of flavor. For the most flavorful and nutrient packed salsa, snag some fresh tomatoes from your local farmer’s market. Blend to desired consistency, you can make it chunky or smooth. If salsa has too much liquid, use a fine mesh strainer or try removing the seeds of the tomatoes prior to blending. Simply cut tomatoes in half, turn upside down over bowl and lightly squeeze to remove seeds. You may have to use your fingers to break apart the inner cavity.
Try pairing the fresh tomato salsa with Beanitos brand chips for a gluten-free snack that is sure to impress your friends and family! Also check out my Roasted Zucchini Salsa and Strawberry Mango Salsa recipes.
Pro tip: When using fresh onions, dip them in a bowl of cold water to enhance the flavor while making them less harsh. Giving the onions a quick bath will also help with the tears.
- 1 lb campari tomatoes (you can also use roma tomatoes)
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp rice wine vinegar (optional)
- Add all ingredients to blender or food processor.
- Pulse several times until well combined. Enjoy right away or refrigerate for up to 5 days in air tight container.
- *Use fine mesh strainer if salsa has too much liquid or de-seed tomatoes prior to blending.