Chipotle Pumpkin Chili is hands-down the best vegan chili recipe I’ve experimented with. Super hearty, creamy, spicy and smoky…everything chili should be. The lemon cream sauce is optional, but I highly recommend making it, it gives the perfect balance to this already amazingly delicious fall favorite.
Not only is this a super delicious vegan recipe, it’s a plant-based powerhouse of nutritious foods. I mentioned some of the wonderful health benefits of pumpkin in my Thai Pumpkin Bisque recipe and now it’s paired with fiber-packed beans, antioxidant rich tomato sauce and an array of delicious spices including cumin.
Native to the east Mediterranean and India, cumin seeds not only deliver a wonderful warm earthy flavor they have been used in traditional medicine for a variety of issues. Cumin is also one of the most mentioned herbs in the Bible. The benefits of cumin include aiding in digestion, boosting the immune system, acting as an anticongestive agent, promoting skin health, and treating insomnia.
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 15 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained & rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can organic pumpkin puree
- 3+ tsp. minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (add more if you like extra spice)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (+ more for thinner soup, optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
- *Optional Lemon Cream Sauce
- *2/3 cup + 2 Tbsp raw cashews (soaked)
- *2/3 cup water
- *3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (2 small lemons)
- *1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- *1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- If making optional lemon cream sauce, begin by boiling 2 cups of water. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes, pour over nuts and let sit for 15-30 minutes. Drain and blend soaked nuts with water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt. Place in freezer until chili is ready.
- For the chili, begin by sauteing onion and garlic in large pot over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. Add more broth if thinner consistency is desired. Taste and adjust chipotle spice level as desired.
- Serve with lemon cream sauce and fresh cilantro.