Curried Carrot Soup. Vegan, super quick, curry, creamy, delicious… what’s not to love? Pair it with my Asian Slaw with Warm Ginger Dressing for a nutrient packed meal.
I discovered this recipe long before I even considered going plant based (vegan). The original recipe was one included in my Ninja blender cookbook. Honestly, I had never really cooked any curry dishes, or for that matter never really eat any curry dishes. But carrot soup sounded really intriguing and I had challenged myself to cook one recipe from each section of the cookbook. It was really love at first taste. Since my initial attempt at this recipe, I have mad it countless times, adapting it along the way. The addition of my Vitamix blender took this recipe to all-star level, from start to finish in 6 minutes. The Ninja was awesome but the Vitamix is seriously the best. I’d rank my Vitamix in my top 5 best purchases of all time. However, unless you’re seriously into cooking, smoothies, etc. I don’t think everyone should go drop that much cash on a blender. I’m posting the everday recipe version with a note in at the bottom for my Vitamix method. Both ways are fast and both equally delicious.
Antioxidants called carotenoids give carrots their signature color. One of these carotenoids, beta carotene, is a precursor to vitamin A. Many studies indicate that beta carotene is crucial in protecting skin and eye health, improving immunity in the body, and fighting free radical damage that can cause various forms of chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer.
While carrots are one of the highest contributors to vitamin A in the American diet, they also and excellent source of fiber and provide ample amounts of vitamins C, D, E and K, in addition to minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
- 2 tsp coconut oil (exclude in Vitamix recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1½ cups carrots, peeled and chopped (about 6 carrots)
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Lime wedge for garnish (optional)
- Preheat medium saucepan on medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in coconut oil (use vegetable stock if oil-free) until onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add red curry paste, carrots, and vegetable stock to the saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until carrots are fork-tender.
- Remove from heat and add coconut milk, salt and pepepr. Let cool prior to blending.
- Using a traditional blender or immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Serve with cilantro and lime, optional.
- NOTE: If using a Vitamix blender, add all ingredients to the blender. Slowly increase blender speed to variable 10 and blend for 6 minutes. Serve immediately.