Look at the size of those tomatoes! Our local farmers market happened to post on Facebook that they had these beauties the same day I had stumbled upon a recipe for stuffed tomatoes on Pinterest. Coincidence? I think not. If this recipe doesn't scream summer in Arkansas I don't know what does. I can't wait to prepare these again, maybe add some sauteed mushrooms and pine nuts...... to be decided.
Pesto Spinach & Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
Our local produce stand had these gorgeous EXTRA LARGE tomatoes and this was perfect recipe! I like to prepare my quinoa ahead of time and use throughout the week to save time. This way the recipes come together in a hurry with most of the time spent is cooking in the oven, what's not to love about that?
Author: Brittany Biggers
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed & drained
- 6 Tbsp pesto
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- For the Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil (I used freeze dried)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (Optional - this is a substitute I use for Parmesan cheese)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut or the top of the tomatoes. Use a spoon with a serrated edge to slip in and scoop out all the seeds and membranes. Set aside.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish. Spread it around. Place tomatoes in the baking dish. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil over the top of each tomato. Sprinkle salt & pepper on each tomato.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, cook the diced onion in 2 Tbsp olive oil, for 5-8 minutes or until lightly brown. Add the cooked quinoa, spinach, pesto, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix together, let cook just until spinach has wilted and everything is combined.
- Spoon filling into tomatoes and put the top back on.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the skin starts to blister.
- ENJOY! 6 medium tomatoes, seeds and cores removed