Sometimes you find these recipes and you’re left thinking “why am I just now discovering this”. That’s exactly how I felt the first time I made this vegan caramel sauce. Only 5 ingredient and ready in ten minutes, you’ll be lucky if you have any left over.
This was one of the three recipes I demonstrated at our Vegan 101 class and I think it was a HIT. There might have even been some spoon-licking action it was so good. For the demonstration I opted to use canned pumpkin pie mix with all the spices already mixed in, simply for convenience. At home I prefer using plain canned pumpkin since there is quite a bit left over. In fact, I recommend my Chipotle Pumpkin Chili recipe to make sure you don’t have to toss perfectly good canned pumpkin (you’ll have slightly less than a full can but just use slightly less broth).
As far as apple nacho toppings go…. get creative! Next time I think I’ll add rolled oats or granola, raisins, or crushed macadamia nuts. If opting for the vegan chocolate chips, I do recommend Enjoy Life brand. And then there’s always the option of just skipping the “nacho” part and eating the caramel sauce with apple slices…..or…..a spoon. (No judgement here!)
Although I don’t myself eat desserts on a regular basis, I do think they’re always times when you need a good sweet snack. Incorporating apples, pumpkin, and coconut into a delicious recipe satisfies the sweet tooth but also packs fiber and other nutrients for a true WIN WIN.
- 4 Apples of choice, cored and sliced
- Unsweetened coconut flakes for topping
- Vegan chocolate chips (I recommend Enjoy Life mini semi-sweet morsels)
- Walnut pieces for topping
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup pumpkin pie mix (or sub plain pumpkin puree + 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Begin by making vegan caramel sauce by adding coconut sugar, coconut cream, pumpkin pie mix, vanilla and sea salt to medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Whisk everything until reduces into dark, creamy, thick caramel sauce. Sauce will thicken after removing from heat so use a spoon to test thickness during cooking.
- After sauce is ready, pile apple slices on a large plate, drizzle with caramel sauce (you can’t get too much) and top with unsweetened coconut flakes, vegan chocolate chips and walnut pieces.